Kahl Takes Thrilling Formula Ford Win at CAMS State Round


Young gun racer Andrew Kahl has taken victory in a thrilling trophy race for Round 3 of the NSW Formula Ford Championship, held at Wakefield Park as part of the CAMS NSW State Championship race meeting on the weekend.

Kahl finished second behind Luke King in the first two races, and in the third and final race he was relegated to third behind Lachlan Gibbons for a number of laps before he overtook Gibbons with three laps to go.

Locked to the rear of King’s Formula Ford on the 16th and final lap, Kahl set up a spectacular move in the final corner to snatch the lead, and the race win, just 200 metres before the finish line.

King held on for second, while Gibbons was relieved of third position by Anthony Colombrita.

In the Formula Ford 1600 class for the older Kent-engined cars, it was William Powers who extended his points lead with wins in all three races; Simon Hodges recovered for second overall after a spin in Race 1, with the consistent Daniel Holihan in third.

The race meeting also featured the second round of the CUE one-hour endurance series for Production Sports cars; the race was won by Andrew Macpherson and Brad Shiels, who swapped their 2014 Wakefield 300-winning Lotus for a Porsche GT3 Cup S.

Driving a Porsche 997 GT3 Cup car, Neale Muston looked to be the closest challenger to Macpherson and Shiels after the Lotus Exige GT3 of Angelo Lazaris/Barton Mawer retired early with mechanical problems. However, Muston’s race was compromised when he received a 10 second time penalty for not lining up correctly in his grid box for the race start, and he ran into further trouble when he collided with the Ford GT40 of Iain Pretty/Scott Fleming, and then speared into the sand trap at Turn 2 a few laps later.

Alex Cook/Damien Meyer (Porsche 911 GT3) capitalised on Muston’s dramas to finish second outright, with Craig/Adam Burgess (Ginetta G50) rounding out the podium.

Reigning NSW Sports Sedan Champion Birol Cetin won the Sports Sedan round with victory in two of the three races; after qualifying down the order, Cetin stormed to second behind Simon Copping in Race 1.

Copping and Cetin inherited first and second in the race after runaway leader Grant Doulman retired an agonising 100 metres from the chequered flag with a camshaft failure, which also eliminated him from Races 2 and 3.

Keven Stoopman and John Baxter battled closely in the HQ Holden races, Stoopman winning Races 1 and 3 and Baxter coming out on top in Race 2. The competitive combat between the two drivers produced very fast lap times, Stoopman breaking the lap record in Race 2.

The lap record also fell in Supersports, Tim Berryman lowering the bar in his Radical SR8 with a blistering 56.7s lap time. Berryman won all three races; the Stohr of Darren Barlow was second in the first two races while Neale Muston, on double duty with his Production Sports racing, was second in the final.

Michael Kinsella moved into the NSW Formula Vee Championship lead with victory in all three races ahead of Ryan Reynolds and Tim Brook; defending Champion Dylan Thomas suffered a serious blow to his title defence with a second non-finish in two rounds.

Thomas enjoyed a much more successful weekend in the Shaw Vineyards Production Touring category, winning the first two races in his Mitsubishi Evo X; Daniel Oosthuizen won the final in his Evo IX.

The BMWs of Barry Graham and Anthony Soole were third in Races 1 and 2 but Greg Symes made it a Mitsubishi Evo podium lockout in Race 3.

Nick Filipetto and Ben Turner were first and second in all three Formula Race Car races, but third place finishes were shared between Glenn Lynch, Greg Muddle and Andrew Wlodek.

Making its first appearance on the CAMS NSW State Championship program, the BMW Drivers Cup produced three specacular races. While the results showed Sean Bell as the dominant winner with three race wins, he was challenged closely by Simon Mitchell, who led the weekend’s first two races before Bell overtook him.

Stan Armstrong broke the lap record in Race 2, while the last race finished under Safety Car due to a collision between Glenn Kenneday and Graeme Bell at the final corner.

The next event at Wakefield Park is Round 3 of the MRA (Motor Racing Australia) Series, the All-British meeting, which will be held this Sunday, 28 June.

Share this post