Vernon Victorious in Anniversary Enduro

Jimmy Vernon has taken victory in the NSW Production Touring Cars one-hour endurance race, held as part of the CAMS NSW State Championships 25thanniversary race meeting at Wakefield Park over the weekend.

Driving his Mitsubishi Evo X, Vernon was engaged in a feisty battle with fellow Evo driver Michael King during the first 20 minutes of the race. King led the initial stages before Vernon passed him for the lead at Turn 8, but King briefly recaptured the lead after both drivers had completed their compulsory pit stops.

However, a relentless Vernon powered his way back to the front at Turn 2, and was never headed for the rest of the race, even despite a late Safety Car when Ollie Shannon speared into the gravel trap with a brake failure.

Matthew Holt (HSV Clubsport) won Class A2 with third outright, while Darren Herbert (Mitsubishi Evo) won Class B1 with fifth overall and Geoff Kite (Holden Commodore SS-V, 11th) took Class B2 honours.

Chris Reeves won Class C in his VW Scirocco, Shannon’s demise allowed Edan Thornburrow to take out Class D in his Toyota 86, and Phil Alexander teamed up with Rytis Gruodis to win Class E in a Nissan Pulsar.

The NSW Production Sports Championship staged a pair of 30-minute races; while Matt Stoupas took a pair of comfortable victories in his Invitational Class Audi R8, the battle for Class A honours raged between several Porsche drivers, Brad Schumacher and Greg Ward sharing the spoils. Schumacher finished second outright in Race 1, but a number of spins in Race 2 – including one while trying to overtake Ward in the last corner – saw him falling to fifth outright and third in class behind Ward and Nathan Halstead. Nick Cancian won Class B in his Mazda MX5 while Aaron Wemyss (Lotus) was the overall Class C winner.

A mechanical problem in qualifying ruled Sports Sedan points leader Birol Cetin out of action, and Steven Lacey capitalised to chalk up a trio of race wins, with Grant Doulman mounting a challenge in the final race, but ultimately falling short.

The scoreboard shows that Aaron Lee won all three Formula Vee races, but he had to work hard for each one of those wins, especially in Race 3 where he was involved in a race-long, nose-to-tail dice with Craig Sparke and Stephen Butcher, the three cars swapping positions on multiple occasions.

Zach Bates and Cooper Allen won the first two Formula Ford races, after Lachlan Ward lost time with a couple of errors. Ward put together a mistake-free performance in Race 3 to make it three different winners from the three races.

In Improved Production Over 2 Litre, Mitsubishi Evo drivers Trevan Spiteri and Michael King shared the wins in the first three races before King jumped clear with a blinder start in the final; Queenslander David Waldon finished third in his Mazda RX3.

Some problems in qualifying left Harrison Cooper (Honda Integra) with work to do in the Improved Production Under 2 Litre races, but the reigning champion charged through the field in style, climbing to second in Race 1 behind Kurt Macready (Nissan Silvia) and then winning the other three races.

The final category for the weekend was Supersports, with three races on Saturday that were all won by Alex Kenny in his Juno; Darren Barlow (Stohr) and Garth Walden (Radical) battled for the minor places.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email